Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where is that little boson?

I would be remiss if I did not mention that the newest particle accelerator in the world came online yesterday with its first full circuit test. Meaning that those wacky physicists shot a beam of protons around the entire 27 km ring. It's a good thing there were no beer bottles stuck in it this time.

I have a very good friend who is a theoretical physicist and I asked him about the supposed danger in switching this thing on. You may be aware that there is a small number (really, just one) of physicists who are going crazy over the possiblity that the LHC could create a small black hole that would swallow our entire planet. My friend admitted that he and his colleagues had not, at that time (that being 2 years ago or so), considered the possibility. However, upon substantial review, they determined that it would be impossible to create such a black hole and now the physics community is convinced the LHC is perfectly safe - except for that one guy who can't let his theory go. We do encounter these people from time to time in science, and it's unfortunate, because the rule of science really is this: develop a hypothesis, and then attempt to DISprove it. If you just try to prove the hypothesis, you never consider any contrary information, and according to my friend, that's what this crazy physicist is doing. So if it's any consolation - I am supremely confident that we are all 100% safe. Good luck to my friend, I hope the data he obtains from this thing validates the years he's spent working on it.

3 comments:

DDD said...

And isn't that the beauty of intelligent design theory: something which can neither be proven nor disproven. Too bad there are lots more than one person advocating it.

Unknown said...

Check out:

http://www.hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

the pithy scientist said...

Hah that's a good one Chad. I guess we'd better keep checking that site to make sure.